Meet Gabi Holzwarth
Gabi Holzwarth is the violinist girlfriend of Travis Kalanick, the CEO, and co-founder of ride-hailing and controversial service Uber.
Her boyfriend has been called a visionary, a disrupter, a genius and a jerk. One thing is certain: his company is unlike anything the world has seen before. Uber is likely the fastest-growing startup in history and definitely the most valuable at $62.5 billion.
Kalanick was born in Los Angeles, he lived in Northridge, California where he graduated from Granada Hills High School and studied engineering at UCLA before dropping out in 1998 to help found his first company, Scour. The file-sharing service not unlike Napster, ended in disaster when some of the world’s biggest media companies sued it for $250 billion in damages, forcing Kalanick to filed for bankruptcy. According to the Times, following the disaster of Scour, he slept in his childhood bedroom while starting Red Swoosh –an enterprise content delivery company that he sold to Akamai Technologies in 2007 for $18.7 million. Uber came next.
Uber, an on-demand black car service, seeks to be “Everyone’s Private Driver” by bringing disruptive technology and business innovation to urban transportation challenges. The company is competing with taxi services in the United States and 59 other countries around the world. The company has been tearing across the globe, pledging to pour $1 billion each into China and India. In addition, Kalanick has been an active angel investor.
But why don’t we get to the good stuff? Gabi Holzwarth, the prominent violinist has said in the past how her romance with the billionaire helped her overcome an eating disorder that almost killed her. The couple met over a year ago at a Shervin Pishevar party, where she was invited to play.
Read more interesting facts about Gabi Holzwarth, below:
1. The 26-year-old is from Redwood City, Calif. She has been playing since age 3.
2. Gabi Holzwarth suffered through serious violence as a child, including one incident at age 13 in which she was dragged by her hair.
3. The trauma she suffered as a child led her to struggled with eating disorders for a decade
4. As a result from her bulimia, she suffers from osteoporosis.
5. Gabi Holzwarth began playing her violin in the streets of Palo Alto for tips
6. She made friends with the titans of Silicon Valley that began hiring her for events and parties
7. Now a regular performer at Silicon Valley tech parties, she worked in sales for the San Jose Earthquakes soccer team.
8. She attended University of California, Davis and holds a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), History.
9. She played a duet with Snoop Dogg at a Munchery party.
10. Furthermore, Gabi Holzwarth has played for BitTorrent, NetApp, Samsung, LinkedIn, and Google.
You can find the lovely Gabi Holzwarth on Twitter here.