Meet Mrs. Geraldine Brooks; she was the wife of author and Pulitzer Prize-winner journalist Tony Horwitz, who died on May 27, 2019, at the age of 60, in Washington. According to the Vineyard Gazette, the former Wall Street Journal reporter was on tour promoting his latest book Spying on the South and was due to appear at Prose bookstore and Washington’s Politics on Tuesday. He is survived by his wife Geraldine and their two sons.
- Like her beloved husband, Geraldine is a journalist and a novelist; she was born on September 14, 1955, in Sydney, New South Wales in Australia.
- Geraldine is the daughter of Gloria and Lawrie Brooks; her mum is a public relations officer with radio station 2GB, her old man was a singer with the George Trevare Orchestra.
- Her sister Darleen Bungey, is the book author of the novels Author Boyd: A Life and John Olsen: An Artist’s Life.
- Mrs. Brooks graduated from Bethlehem School and the University of Sydney; subsequently in 1983, received her master’s degree at New York City’s Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism.
- She published her first book Nine Parts of Desire n 12994, later on, published Years of Wonder in 2001; four years later published March, followed by People of the Book, Caleb’s Crossing and The Secret Cord in 2008, 2011 and 2015, respectively.
- Moreover, Geraldine a former foreign correspondent for The Wall Street Journal won the Pulitzer Prize in April 2006; the Australian Publishers Association’s Literary Fiction Book of the Year for People of the Book in 2008; the Peggy V. Helmerich Distinguished Author Award in 2009 and awarded with the Dayton Literary Peace Prize Lifetime Achievement Award in 2010.
- Furthermore, she married Tony Horwitz in 1984, in France; together they had two sons, Nathaniel and Bizu. Nathaniel, born on May 2, 1996, graduated from Harvard in 2018, with a B.A., in Molecular & Cellular Biology; he is the founder of Nivien Therapeutics.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to them, throughout this sad time.