Jill Jones is the long time wife of Payless current CEO, W. Paul Jones. Her 56-year-old husband has been Chief Executive Officer of Pay Less Holdings, Inc. since October 22, 2012.
Paul Jones, formerly chairman, president and CEO of Shopko, faced the recent announcement of Payless closing nearly 400 stores.
Prior to Payless, Jones most recently had served as Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer of Shopko Stores, a $2.7 billion mass merchandiser providing quality products and health services at great values in small to mid-sized markets.
At Shopko, Jones spearheaded the brand’s successful repositioning, the acquisition and conversion of Pamida – a smaller footprint, rural retailer – to a new small market business format, Shopko Hometown, and the launch of Shopko’s e-commerce platform.
Payless filling for bankruptcy is not good, but there’s no doubt Paul Jones has been a successful fella. At the time of his hiring he said:
I am thrilled to join the Payless team and help drive this global brand’s future success. I have had the pleasure of working with Payless for several years through a strategic partnership with Shopko and have a deep appreciation for the power of the Payless brand. Based on the solid foundation and successful value-oriented strategy established by the talented Payless management team, Payless and CLI have numerous opportunities for growth, and I am committed to realizing them with the team’s help. Working together with the company’s management and its dedicated employees, we will build upon this company’s bright future. I am particularly excited to partner with Golden Gate Capital, who has a proven track record for adding value in the retail sector, and with Blum Capital, who has a long history with Payless.”
Read more interesting facts about Jill’s husband below:
1. Jill is certainly a proud wife. Her husband is a seasoned and distinguished industry leader with more than 3 decades of management experience in the value retail segment. He attended Saint Mary’s University and the University of Oregon.
2. Her hubby’s prior career highlights include serving as the Vice President of General Merchandising of Sears, where he played a key role in the reinvention and turnaround of the $2.3 billion Men’s and Children’s apparel business.
3. Her hubby also worked at Kohl’s. Jones was Senior Vice President of Merchandising of Kohl’s Department Stores, which opened more than 450 stores nationwide during his tenure. Jones began his career at May Department Stores.
4. Jill’s hubby has been praised by others. David Chung, Partner at Blum Capital, said about him, “Paul is a world-class addition to Payless management, a dynamic and team-first leader whose experience, leadership style and personal qualities will help drive value creation at Payless over the long term. We are delighted he has agreed to join the company, and could not be more excited for what the future holds under his leadership.”
5. She is the mother of the couple’s five kids. According to the Payless website, Jill and her husband reside in Topeka, Kansas with their five children.
Join the Conversation