Meet Akshata Murty! She is the loving and supportive wife of United kingdom Prime Miniter Rishi Sunak, who assumed his role after Liz Truss’s resignation and took the Prime Minister role following Boris Johnson’s dismissal.
Rishi Sunak was born in Richmond, United Kingdom, on July 12, 1980. He is the son of a doctor and a pharmacist. Sunak received his education at Winchester College and Oxford University.
Sunak worked as an investment banker before entering politics. He was first elected to Parliament in 2015. Sunak served as a junior minister in the Department for Business, Energy, and Industrial Strategy before being appointed Chancellor of the Exchequer in 2019.
On February 13, 2020, Sunak was appointed Prime Minister of the United Kingdom following the resignation of Liz Truss, who served as the UK’s Prime Minister for 50 days; she placed Boris Johnson, who served as Primnister from December 2019 to September 2022. As Prime Minister, Sunak has promised to invest in infrastructure and tackle climate change. He has also pledged to support businesses and workers affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Sunak is considered to be a fiscal conservative, and he is expected to pursue a more right-wing agenda than his predecessor. He has already announced plans to reduce taxes and loosen regulations on businesses.
Sunak is seen as a rising star in the Conservative Party, and his ascension to the prime ministership signifies the party’s shift to the right.
Sunak is married to Akshata Murthy, the daughter of Indian billionaire Narayana Murthy. The couple has two young children.
Akshata Murthy is an Indian-born businesswoman who co-founded Heyday, a San Francisco-based startup that makes health tracking products. She was born in Mysore, India, and moved to the United States at 16 to attend college. After graduating from the University of Southern California, she worked for several technology companies, including Facebook and Instagram.
Murthy is Heyday’s chief executive officer and has been recognized as one of the “30 Most Powerful Women in Business” by Fortune magazine. In 2017, she was also named one of “India’s Top 100 Women” by The Economic Times.
Akshata Murty 5 Facts You Need to Know
- Akshata Murty was born Akshata Narayan Murty in April 1980 in Hubli, Karnataka, India. She is the daughter of Indian billionaire N.R. Narayana Murthy and his wife Sudha Murty. Akshata has one brother, Rophan Murty, founder opf Murty Classical Library of India, Soroco, the digital transformation company where he also serves as a chief technical officer.
- Her parents are the founders of the multinational tech company Infosys. According to Forbes, his dad’s net worth has been estimated at $4.5 million, making him the 654th richest person in the world.
- Akshata Murty attended Baldwin Girls High School, Claremont McKenna College in California (French and economics), Stant University (M.B.A); she also has a clothing manufacturing diploma from the Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising.
- Akshata Murty was the marketing director of Tendris for two years; was director of Catamaran Ventures; later on, she and Rishi Sunak founder an Indian Law Firm.
- Akshata met her husband while they both attended Standford University; they got married in August 2009 and have two girls, Anoushka and Krishna.