Shirley Ann Shepherd/Shirley Watts Bio
Shirley Ann Shepherd is the loving and beautiful wife of British musician Charlie Watts; the Rolling Stones drummer, almost since the band was founded until his death in August 2021.
80-year-old Charlie Watts was born in Bloomsbury, London, on June 2, 1941. He was one of two children born to Lilian Charlotte Watts (nee. Eaves) and Charles Richard Watts, also proud parents to Charlie’s sister Linda. The Watts lived in Wembley before moving to Kingsbury, where he attended Croft Secondary Modern School and Harrow Art Schook.
Watt worked as a graphic designer before meeting Alexia Korner in 1961 and invited him to join his band Blues Incorporated; he joined the band in 1962 and remaining his work as a designer.
Charlie met Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Brian Jones, and Ian Stewart at a rhythm and blues club in London in mid-1962; Watts joined the Rolling Stones in January 1963. Charlie Watts was the Rolling Stones’ drummer; but he was also responsible for creating comic strips for Between the Buttons record sleeve.
Charlie was elected into the Modern Drummer Hall of Fame, named the International Best Dressed List Hall of Fame by Vanity Fair, and listed 12th on Rolling Stone‘s “100 Greatest Drummers of All Time” list in 2006.
Charlie Watts Health & Death
Watts smoked heavily before he quit in 1980; despite that, he battled with throat cancer in 2004 and underwent a radiotherapy course at the Royal Marsden hospital in Chelsea, west London.
“Having been diagnosed with throat cancer following a minor operation in June, Charlie Watts is reaching the end of radiotherapy treatment.
“He is expecting to make a full recovery and start work with the rest of the band later in the year.”
Charlie missed the U.S. No Filter Tour due to an unspecified medical procedure on August 5, 2021. He died at the age of 80, on August 24, 2021, at a London hospital.
It is with immense sadness that we announce the death of our beloved Charlie Watts,” a statement said.
It said he was “a cherished husband, father and grandfather” and “one of the greatest drummers of his generation”.
Shirley Ann Shepherd 5 Facts you Need to Know.
- Shirley Ann Shepherd, Charlie Watts of 57 years, was born on September 11, 1938.
- Mrs. Watts was a sculpture student at the Royal College of Art when she met her husband.
- They dated for a couple of years before they tied the knot on October 14, 1964, before the Rolling Stones became a hit; they lived in Devon’s Arabian horse stud farm.
She is an incredible woman,’ Charlie once said, speaking of his wife. ‘The one regret I have of this life is that I was never home enough. But she always says when I come off tour that I am a nightmare and tells me to go back out.’
- Shirley and Charlie Watts welcomed their only child, daughter Seraphina born on March 18, 1968.
- Seraphina gave birth to Charlie and Shirley’s granddaughter Charlotte in 1996. According to sources, Seraphina Watts’s first husband and father is a lawyer named Nick. Seraphina, a designer, and former fashion model, subsequently married Barry Catmer in 2017.