Alex Murdaugh Wife
Maggie Murdaugh was the wife of South Carolina lawyer Alex Murdaugh charged with insurance fraud, conspiracy to commit insurance fraud, and filing a false police report; he was also arrested in connection to a shooting in Hampton County where he allegedly asked Curtis Edward Smith to assist him in committing suicide for the explicit purpose of allowing a beneficiary to collect life insurance.
According to CNN, Alex Murdaugh gave him a gun and hired Smith, 61, to kill him so his son Buster could collect over $10 million in a life insurance payout.
Maggie Murdaugh Bio Facts
- Maggie Murdaugh was born Margaret Kennedy Branstetter on September 15, 1968. She graduated in 1991, from the University of South Carolina, where not only she was a member of Kappa Delta Sorority but where she also met her husband Alex. They got married on August 14, 1993.
- According to People Magazine, Maggie Murdaugh met a divorce attorney six weeks prior to her death. Maggie Murdaugh had been looking into her family finances in order to determine her and her husband’s marital assets.
- The DailyMail reported, Maggie and Alex Murdaugh’s marriage was on a rough patch; she no longer dropped by his office to have lunch as she had done for years.
Their marriage was absolutely on the rocks. Alex and Maggie didn’t look at each other like they were married,’ the source said. ‘There was no love lost between them. I never saw them touch or be affectionate to each other.
Maggie Murdaugh has been demanding answers about their finances and Alex’s drug addiction.
She didn’t pay close attention to the family money or where it came from. But now she was starting to look into it. I don’t think she’d had to worry about money before. That was new for her.
The source explained, ‘I remember one day, it must have been a few months before she was killed, she was crying because she had written a check at a charity luncheon, and it had bounced. She thought at first there must have been some mistake but when she found out there wasn’t she was mortified and upset.
I think when Maggie married Alex she didn’t have to think about money or where it was coming from and once she started asking questions she definitely picked her battles. Murdaugh’s response was always the same, they said, ‘He’d always tell her not to worry about it, that he’d figure it out, he’d fix it.
‘He was just so checked out of the family by the end. He never gave her any real answers that I heard.
- Her son Paul Murdaugh, 22, a junior at the University of South Carolina, who was also killed at their home was 19 when he was charged with three felonies; including boating under the influence (BUI) resulting in the death of 19-year-old Mallory Beach.
Don't forget to check the Photo Gallery & Video Below
- Maggie Murdaugh was 52, when she and her son Paul, 22, were killed inside their home located at 4147 Moselle Road, near Island on June 7th, 2021. According to the police report, Maggie and Paul were shot “execution-style” with two different guns.